Monday, September 21, 2015

Two Little Strangers With Big Hearts

When I was at the hospital with Dad  I took a few trips to the cafeteria to buy Mom and I lunch.  It drastically changed from the last time I visited the cafeteria. Many options and at a decent price.

During one of those trips I encountered two little girls that touched my heart.

As I came around a corner I saw two little girls. They were about 6-8 years old with milk chocolaty skin. Their hair was twisted in a bun. Their dresses were cute knee length over white stockings  and Mary Jane shoes.  They were loitering by the gift shower looking through the glass at the cute over priced dolls.

They started hopping and skipping in circles as I got closer to them. I thought OMG not more brats please! I was so sick of hearing and seeing kids act up in the hospital.

When I see kids hopping, skipping, running and jumping in public I focus on them because I know they are not paying attention. I know if they just bump me I can be down on the floor. I've had that happened more than once.

So anyway, the oldest one suddenly looks at me and I could tell she was checking me out. As I passed by she shy smiled and  said, "HI."

Smiling back I said hello. She pulled the other little girl by the hand and started walking with me.

She asked me where I was going and I told her the cafeteria.

She then asked me why I was in the hospital. I told her my dad had an accident. She looked down sadly and mumbled, "OH!" I reassured her that he'll be okay.

I asked her who were they visiting. She looked up and her face lit up like a ray of sunshine. She said her Mother had their little brother. I commented that it was exciting. She giggled and agreed.

As she rambled about what he looked like, how much he weighed, she watched her little sister telling to move when she was going to be in someone's way.  I thought she is a good big sister.

I always walk to the far side so people can just walk around me. I am fully aware that I walk slower than most.

My Hubby sometimes disagree with me doing that because he says I should not have do it. I am a person just like everyone else. People can either wait or go around me. My argument is that I hate people on my heels and I rather just get to the side when I can so they can go ahead of me. It's an ongoing discussion between he and I. I love him for that though. Its those discussions that remind me how lucky I am.

The littler girl kept looking at my legs. I was waiting for her to ask.

She then said, "I hope your dad is going to be okay.". Taken back, "Thank you sweetie." I mean c'mon how many kids are that sensitive to others nowadays?

When we got outside the cafeteria she said wait and I stopped.(awkwardly as usual) She opened the door and said, "I just wanted to hold the door for you." I looked at the child stunned as everybody was walking around us and said, "You are so sweet, thank you."

She watched me walk in and held the door for a few other people behind me. I stepped aside and asked her if she was also coming into the cafeteria. Smiling she said, "No, I just wanted to hold the door for you. I hope your dad gets better. Bye.! Before I could say anything she had ran off in the midst of the crowd going back to where we just came from.

I stepped further into the cafeteria watching everyone coming and going having NO clue how much one child touched my heart.

I looked for her the next two days but I never saw her again. I wish I could have hugged her and tell her she was someone special. I wish I could have seen her parents and tell them how special their daughter was.

Until next time..


7 comments:

  1. I have been in the hospital with my mother several times in the last couple of years .During these times, I met some of the kindest, most heartwarming people there. I'm glad you had that experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this post. I am so weepy today that I cried when they opened the door for you!

    pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story. Someone raised that little girl really well. How touching. XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice encounter. I often find that children are not particularly considerate or conversational with adults and I'm always impressed when I come upon children like those you met. Hospitals can be strange places where all sorts of different encounters can take place. It's a good thing when an experience can stay with you like this one did.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. That one moment, under all the stress, i had hope and warmth in my heart.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure I've read this post and thought I commented on it. I hope all is well with you.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sincere apologies, did not get an email notification of pending comments and i've not been feeling well. I do appreciate you reading and comments.

      Delete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.