Friday, April 3, 2015

Blogging A to Z Challenge: Letter C

CAJUN

I bet you thought I would write about Cerebral Palsy or Cancer. HA! You were wrong!

Believe it or not, people don't know what Cajun is or means. Since I have it in my title of this blog, I thought I'd try to explain it.

But before I get into that I want to explain why I titled my blog MyCajunLife way back when. Yes, I am Cajun but I talk a lot about my life with Cerebral Palsy. My initial mission of my blog was for it to be sort of a diary and at the same time show people that those like myself with Cerebral Palsy or any other disability is just like you. I did not want to confine my blog just about Cerebral Palsy. It would get boring and redundant after a while. Anyway that's how my title came about.

Moving on…

Here is a very tried history. In 1770's, Acadians were exiled from their homeland in Nova Scotia and wandered for many years until they reached Louisiana soil. Many Americans could not pronounce Acadians so the word Cajun was born. You can read more about the history on the Lafayette-Travel website or Wikipedia.

The older Cajuns speak Cajun French, different from Canadian French. We have our own slang words and phrases. Here are a few.

 Are you getting down?:  Are you getting out of the car?

Dat-That

Coo-yon- We use this to call someone stupid or foolish.

Drawz-Underwear.

Ya'll-You all.

There is a bigger list on many sites but here is just one.

It seems millions of people have taken a liking to the TV shows "Swamp People" and "Duck Dynasty". After the shows aired, people online always asked if I lived in a Swamp when I said I lived in Louisiana.  We have lots of bayous and bays and swamps but the majority of us don't live in the swamp.  

Most of us are fun and loving. We enjoy life! We are usually friendly!

We love our Cajun food especially boiled crawfish (crayfish), King Cakes during Mardi Gras, jambalaya, etoufees and many more.

A favorite Cajun past time is a Crawfish boil.  The little mudbugs you may use as fishing bait, we eat. We boil them with any combination of potatoes, onions, corn and sausage.

We also cook them in bisques, etoufee, gumbos, and deep fried.

There are many festivals and fair do-dos through the year where you can listen to and dance to Cajun, Zydeco, Swamp Pop and other music.



Some of the well know festivals are:

The Crawfish Festival in Breaux Bridge

New Orleans Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is celebrated in just about every city in South Louisiana with parades and Fais do-dos.

Festival International in Lafayette.

I hope this gives you a better idea what a Cajun is. We're your ordinary fun-loving group of people  who work hard and play hard!

laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)












No comments:

Post a Comment

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.