Friday, August 12, 2011

Crippled? Disabled? Handicapped?

I had to go to Wallyworld to return a loaf of MOLDY bread. We bought it, and when we opened it, the first several slices had a line of mold across them. EWWWW!

So I arrived, got my yellow sticker from the greeter and followed a slower than me elderly African man. Yes, there are others SLOWER than me.

I do have respect for others that are less fortunate then me so I did not try to pass him or as a lot of people do, cut in front of him like we are in the Indy 500.  We arrived and I immediately noticed two cash registers opened and it appeared there were two lines. I followed the older gentleman to the shorter line.

Adults obviously don't know how to form a line. The other line was an older Caucasian lady with what seemed like a late 20's or early 30's woman standing beside her. It could be her daughter along with 3 kids under the age of 4. I'll call her the BIOTCH. Behind these people were a pair of teenage Caucasian girls. I thought the lines were somewhat jagged but it was obvious that there were two lines. So I  stood behind the gentleman.

I saw the BIOTCH talk to the older woman. I noticed because they were loud then it became a whisper. I glanced over but didn't pay much attention.

The gentleman in front of me starts walking forward as the person in front of him went up and the older woman turns to the gentleman and says pointing to the back of her line, "I don't know what you are doing but the back of the line is over there."

Understandably confused, the gentleman looks at her and says, "I'm in this line, you are in that one." The lady pointing frantically says "NO, this is the line. You need to go over there."

I WAS going to stay out of it.

However, the BIOTCH looks at him then me and tells the older woman, "Oh they're crippled, they think they can cut." She added some expletives.

EXCUSE ME! Okay, NOW! They put me in it and they have no idea what the hell they are starting.

I said, "EXCUSE ME? It seems there are two lines here. As the man said, "You're there, we're here."

The BIOTCH heightens her voice, "Ya'll just think ya'll can cut just because ya'll are crippled." I wanted to walk up to her and PUNCH the crap out of her!

I yelled, "YOU don't know me so you don't even know what I think! There are TWO LINES here, two cashiers! Obviously, you are in that line and we are in this one."

I saw in my peripheral vision the gentleman leaning and whispered to me "Don't bother, I'll move" but I was just too pissed off! I ordered, "NO YOU ARE NOT."

The BIOTCH sarcastically shouts, "I was NOT talking to you."

I shouted back, "Maybe not, but you said, "YA'LL. That means more than one person and you looked straight at me so you made me included! Leave this man alone!"

It was their turn in their line and they went up. The man chuckles and said, "You're one little spitfire aren't you?"

I was trying to simmer down because I didn't want to cry and make her think I was weak. I cry when I am mad. The BIOTCH with the kids hanging all over her like she was a tree glared at me and I returned the glare twofold.

I answered the man as I continue to return the glare, "I will speak up and defend myself or anyone who needs back up if I see they need.. My parents taught me to fight for what I knew was right and never allow anyone to belittle me.. This was downright wrong and they were outright ignorant"

The BIOTCH finally broke eye contact.

He chuckled and we started a small conversation about where we were from etc. He walked to the cashier when it was his turn.

One of the kids of that BIOTCH starts running around me. I was waiting for him to run into me. Actually, I wished he had. If you know me, a light breeze can blow me over. LAWSUIT against the BIOTCH. She got me that pissed off.

His ignorant mother stepped forward and grabbed him as the older lady finished her business and turned around. We glared at each other but nothing came out of their ignorant mouths. She finally broke eye contact and walked away huffing.

I could hear them jabbering, no doubt , about me, but I really didn't give a darn.

I met up with the older man when I walked out. His car was parked in the handicapped space next to mine. He thanked me and said he will always remember me. I told him no thanks necessary but if he really wanted to, next time, stand up for himself and people like us. He seemed amused for some reason. He chuckled and said, "Honey, I think sometimes I'm too old to worry about such nonsense.But for you to jump and defend a total stranger, I'll pray for you. God has blessed you."
We said our good-byes.

For some reason, I hate the word CRIPPLE. I guess because I was teased maliciously  and crippled was the word they used to laugh at me and call me names. And society has replaced Cripple with Disabled, physically challenged or handicapped.

One day I looked up crippled, handicapped and disabled. According to dictionary.com, here are the definitions:


Crippled:1. Sometimes Offensive .
                   a. a person or animal that is partially or totally unable to use one or more limbs; 
                     lame or disabled person or animal.
                  b.a person who is disabled or impaired in any way: a mental cripple.
               2. Anything that is impaired or flawed

HANDICAPPED: Physically or mentally disabled.
            2. (of a contestant) marked by, being under, or having a handicap: a handicapped  player.


DISABLED: crippled; injured; incapacitated.

If I pick these apart here is what I come up with:

"Crippled-Sometimes Offensive"--It was offensive when I grew up. Besides the kids torment, the ignorant older people would come up to me and my mom in a grocery store or wherever and say, Aww poor crippled girl." My mom would ignore them majority of the time and we would walk away  but sometimes she would say, "yes, my child is handicapped." No one can imagine what my mom went through.

However, I went to the Crippled Children's clinic in my hometown, I went to the Crippled Childrens circus and Crippled Children's camp.However, this was 1960s and 1970s.

Lame 1. crippled or physically disabled, especially in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with     difficulty.
           2. impaired or disabled through defect or injury: a lame arm.
            3.weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy: a lame excuse.
          4.Slang . out of touch with modern fads or trends; unsophisticated.

I can move ALL my limb although with a limp. My legs, surprisingly are stronger than my arms. I am clumsy. Aren't  everyone weak in one way or another?

But who is to say what is a flaw or impaired nowadays? I used to tell my daughter, everyone has a flaw as we are not perfect. Some flaws you can see better than others but it gives no one a right to make you feel less of a person.


Disabled: Synonymous with crippled. Disabled is used most of the time now.  But yet there is Handicapped Parking.

So I guess all the words can be used interchangeably. I think what is most important is the TONE and CONTEXT they are used.

Before one speaks, they need to think and be prepared to defend their ignorant ways












































2 comments:

  1. I'm giving you a high 5 on this one. Good for you for standing up for that old man (and yourself). You aren't really surprised though that these people did that are you? Ignorance is just plain ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High 5 Barb! Thanks so much. If I don't stand up for myself (and the old man) no one will. I am not surprised at all Barb because I've dealt with morons like them my whole life. Most of the time I just walk away feeling like they are not worth my time. Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.