Sunday, May 27, 2018

Cops Need Better Hand Signals

This morning I was driving from the church in my small town of about 1000 following an elderly lady. There's a stop sign at an intersection of the main highway. Most people just slow down and then go. There should be a yellow light. 

Anyway, the lady in front of me just slowed down at the stop sign and turned. I admit I yielded a little more and turned following her going the same direction. As we got on the highway a cop put on his lights and got in front of me so I assumed he was only stopping the elderly lady. She turned left off to a little road. He put his hand out waving forward so I thought he was letting me pass and started to pass when he half blocked me with his car pointing to where the lady was. So I turned on the same road. 

He went to the elderly lady and was talking to her.  Then another cop arrives. This female cop came to me after talking to the male cop saying that he stopped me because I didn't stop at the stop sign. I admitted I didn't stop and just mentioned I was coming from the church following the lady. She asked which church. I told her. She said to stay put until the other cop comes talk to me.

So I retrieved my driver's license, insurance and registration. He finally finishes with the elderly lady and he comes to me and informs that I did not stop at the stop sign and trying to pass him when he was saying to stop was not safe nor legal. I did not argue with him. He said he was going get information and be right back.

As I waited I started thinking of his hand gestures. His hand gesture was waving me forward not to turn. I was behind him so how am I supposed to know he was stopping both of us? I contemplated if I was going to point that out or if he gave me a ticket for that I would just accept it and pay the fine for the not stopping but I would fight the other one he would come up with.

He finally returns and I immediately asked him if I could say something? He said yes. I explained to him that his hand gestures made me believe he was motioning for me to pass him. I was not trying to pass him and get away. He said, "Okay. That's fine. I'm just giving you a warning, it won't be in the system or anything. After signing the warning, he told me to keep safe and have a blessed Happy Memorial weekend.  I reciprocated.

Notice, he did not give me a response to my comment in regards his hand gestures.

I was shaken, upset and angry. It just irritated me that he accused me of trying to pass him. I made it home cried my frustration to my sick husband. (Please pray that nasty illness he has goes away soon and doesn't transfer to me just as bad.)

I am thankful that I was only given a warning. 

It's crazy, the one time I go without Hubby to mass in a very long time I get stopped by a cop.

Until next time.....when you come to a stop sign, STOP. Have a safe and blessed Memorial Weekend.

P.S. I didn't forget about the post on Clonus. Working on it.




word count 582

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully, the policeman will heed what you said and make different hand gestures next time. Most of us are not pulled over very often and need very clear signals that they are motioning to us. I've been confused before also.

    Hope your husband is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about my delay of response. I am not getting email notifications of comments. I read they're having problems :(.

    Anyway, thanks! My husband is 100% better!

    I hope so to but won't hold my breath LOL! I saw he stopped another one the Sunday after. But I wasn't near it at the time of the stop thankfully. Felt sorry for the one stopped though.

    ReplyDelete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.