Tuesday, June 26, 2018

What Is Clonus? PT Graduation!!!

All of my life, I have been able to put my foot a certain way on the floor and my leg will shake up and down continously. When I put my foot flat or stand up it stops. I have control of it starting and stopping at will. ] It's not because of nervousness. It actually feels good.

However, I can see how it is involuntary because when I start it just goes until I stop it. I cannot just shake my leg that fast without putting my foot in that position. So I guess in that case I guess the action could be involuntary.

For six weeks during PT (Physical therapy) clonus would begin when I was struggling and straining to do an exercise.

The first time my PT, Monica  saw me do it voluntarly she told me not to do that and she put a name to it, Ankle Clonus. I informed her I do it all of the time. She told me to stop it and that it tightens my tendons. I told her I've been doing this for over 40+ years and I've seen no adverse effects.

I became curious and googled clonus. There are several different definitions but this video pretty much explains it. It is short and sweet.

They didn't mention it occurs with people with spastic cerebral palsy. I disagree that I cannot control it, because for the most part I do most of the time.

On Health line.com the site states there is a problem with the electrical pathway involved in muscle movement.

Conditions that can lead to clonus is cerebral palsy, stroke, muscular dystrophy etc.

Spasticity often occurs with clonus. I have spastic and ataxic cerebral palsy. It involves long-term muscular tightness. That describes me.

I found my last orthopedist report from 1983 down below.  It shows as you can read that I had unsustained clonus in the ankles and it has been present for a long period of time. In my mind, the report proves my point that the ankle clonus is not doing me any harm.

I remember as a little girl when I went to church and sat between my parents, I would rock side to side and/or start the clonus. One of them would always put their hand on my leg for me to stop it because it was making the pew shake or the rat-a-tat-tat noise would echo.

My Hubby sometimes does the same especially in church, if someone is in the same pew as us. My point of view is if the people don't like it they can go sit elsewhere. I do stop if it makes noise.

i am ecstatic to inform you that I have graduated from PT. YEA!

PT Certiticate 


Until next time...remind someone you love that you love them.






Word Count 467 words

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your PT graduation. It's always good when that happens.

    ReplyDelete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.