Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month


March is Cerebral Palsy (CP) Awareness month.  I have Cerebral Palsy for in case you missed it in any of my posts or you are new to my blog.

Here are a few facts about Cerebral Palsy.

Cerebral Palsy is the most common motor disorder in children.

The symptoms and severity of CP varies from person to person.

Globally there is 17 million more people who have CP. .

Cerebral palsy is a life-long physical disability caused by damage of the brain, usually during pregnancy. I am one of may exceptions. My Mom said I acquired it at 6 months of age when I stopped breathing during when I had pneumonia but was not diagnosed until I was 2.

Cerebral palsy affects body movement, muscle control, muscle coordination, muscle tone, reflex, posture and balance.

There are 4 types of Cerebral Palsy: Spastic, Athetoid, Ataxic and Mixed.

Spastic is characterized by muscle spasticity and permanent contractions. I have the muscle spasticity but no contractions.

Athetoid is characterized by slow uncontrolled writhing movements. Does not apply to me.

Ataxia is poor coordination and balance.

Mixed is combination of more than one. Obviously, I have this one.

There are many resources online that you can get more information. Here a few that I am using in addition to my knowledge.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine

United Cerebral Palsy

Fireflyfriends

Those of us with Cerebral Palsy often have an equal or better IQ than anyone else.

We (those of us with Cerebral Palsy) have the same life expectancy as those who don't have CP.

Most of us can walk. Some need assisting devices.

Some  of us have trouble communicating because we can't talk or have a speech defect. I think this is most frustrating. I know I can't pronounce some words and have that 'CP drawl". There are often times my brain can't figure out how to say the word offhand or pronounce it. Luckily I tell Hubby to say it and most times I can then pronounce the word. But there are other times, I just say, "Yea that's it!

My family and friends are used to the way I talk so they can understand me. Hubby laughs at the way I say things sometimes.  He thinks it is cute.

Talking to someone on the phone is the worse. It seems to me I am talking clearly but the other person is like, "Say that again" Or they repeat what they thought I said but it is all wrong. I tell Hubby that I understand I have a slight speech defect but c'mon its not that bad! He agrees and says people just don't listen but he also admits he had to listen closely when we first got together but now he is used to it.

If I am crying or upset and talk, forget it. Even my closest family can't understand me.

I probably could write a book about it but there are too many out there. So that is a summary of what Cerebral Palsy is and how it affects my life.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. It won't offend me.







4 comments:

  1. Please, please add this to the link-it Monday!
    I love learning more about this stuff. I have not seen Sydney in ages and I feel like I am an awful friend even though I am so busy I don't even see my own older son much anymore.
    I think educating folks one on one is the best way to raise awareness.
    Talk to you later,
    pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do so Pam, thank you. I have not heard from Syndey either. I was going through my blog list and I really miss her. Life is that way sometimes. One of my best friend and I say we have to get together but she seems so busy.

      Delete
  2. I certainly agree that more efforts should be spent in educating the public about cerebral palsy. I'm really in awe that you are dealing with your condition with so much positivity and love. I hope a lot of people will get to read your post, especially the ones who have loved ones who are suffering from the said disorder. Thanks for sharing that! I wish you all the best, and continue to be an inspiration!

    Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sabrina for dropping by. It is exactly a mission of my goal, to touch others and teach them. I so appreciate you stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.