Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Prescription Trade

I had an idea today. I know its far-fetched but it was an idea.

Let me tell you what gave me the idea. Last week I went to the doctor for follow-up of my hypothyroidism and weight. He took my blood to test my thyroid. His office called me yesterday changing the dosage of my Levothyroxine to 112 mcg. I just refilled my Levothyroxine 125 mcg last week.

 Today, I went to the drive-thru to pick it up and when they tried putting it through my insurance it rejected it. It was no surprise to me. The pharmacist asked me to go in until they settled it. It was freaking HOT and I just wanted to go home.  I told him to call me when they get it through. I live a mile or two so I came home and before I took my shoes off they called me saying it went through. It'll wait until the morning.

Anyway, my idea is there should be a Trade-In Program for medications. Like my situation, since I have nearly a whole bottle of 125 mcg, I should be able to go to the pharmacy, and trade my bottle for the new bottle or donate it to someone who needs it..

I should be able to donate the bottle of Levothyroxine I don't need to a homeless shelter or other program so another person can benefit. Or people can bring their unused medications to their doctor's office and they can give it to others as 'samples" or to those who need and can't afford it.

I know it would bring a lot of red tape not to mention the legalities of it. The pharmacists and pharmaceutical companies would not like it because they could lose money. But hey it was only a thought.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.