Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Convalidation Ceremony.

As most of you know, I married my Hubby almost 7 years ago. We 'eloped' in Las Vegas. The marriage was not recognized by the church. According to the church laws, we were still living in sin and still married to our exes (according to church laws).

For a few years, I had been thinking about how Hubby being married to me, I was the cause of his being in sin. I also was but he was my main concern. I knew I would have to get an annulment from my daughter's father.  I hate the process as I've done it before.

Coincidentally, or maybe God was talking to me, there was an announcement in our church bulletin that there would be a workshop in regards getting an annulment. Hubby and I decided to check it out.

We learned a lot. One thing that surprised us was although Hubby and his ex-were not married in the church and she wasn't Catholic, he had to get an annulment as well because he is Catholic. We were surprised and confused but nevertheless, we had to do what was required to reach our goal. That was to be good with the Church and God.

While Hubby only had to get some documentation such as divorce decree, baptismal certificate, etc.  I had to do same AND fill out an 18-page questionnaire going back from my childhood and reliving my failed marriage(s).

If you are at all interested, you can find the questionnaire and scroll to Part 4 for the questions I had to answer. 
https://diolaf.org/documents/2017/10/DOLwebsiteNewly%20Revised%20Application-Libellus.pdf


It was hard. I had to relive the good, the bad and the ugly of my whole life until the present and write it down in story-like form. At times I was typing with tears flowing reliving the pain in my life. I thought I would have to go back to therapy after this. (Just kidding but it was ROUGH). When I finished I realized it made me do a lot of soul searching and face some things I kept inside all these years, some ONLY Father knows now. And God of course.

Father helped me step by step. I never felt uncomfortable or judged by him. He was amazed at how much I had been through. He kept telling me how strong a person I am and he was sorry I had to go through what I've gone through since my birth and then had to relive this but reminded me that there is a purpose for all of this.

After I was finished answering the questions, Father sent it in and we waited. The average time it takes to find out if our marriages are annulled is up to 6 months. It only took one month and we both had our annulments. I might explain it more if I have any requests why it went so fast.

I think Father was more excited than we were. When we received the annulments, he boasted, "Ya'll are an engaged couple now!." Hubby and I both had about the same thoughts, "Huh?" But, we were, in the eyes of the church, an engaged couple."

We then had to go through the prenuptial process which included going to an engaged couple's encounter which we did.  That is another story in itself. We then set the date for the Convalidation that coincided Father and our schedules which was October 20. I asked him how does our anniversary work now. I couldn't believe the almost 7 years we've been married would be obsolete. He said we could just celebrate two anniversaries. That's pretty cool!

We agreed to have only our parents, my daughter and her husband, siblings and one of Hubby's friends who is a deacon.

I am happy to say everyone showed up for the ceremony. A few had to leave after and forego the 'reception"  because of previous plans. But we were thankful that they did alter their plans to come to our Convalidation. You know who you are. Thank you!
I asked my brother in law to be an amateur photographer at the last minute. After seeing the pictures, don't you agree that he did an awesome job? We totally forgot to get one of Hubby and me only. Oh well! The ceremony started late, which lasted 15 minutes, but we had reservations at a restaurant we were in a hurry to get to.

So here are the pictures.

You know how parents say their kids never listen to them. This time my family didn't listen to me. Mom, a devout Catholic. said she wanted to give us something to remember our day. She was looking for an angel like she has but they were out at the Rosary House. But she found this which is beautiful. This was from my parents and sister and her husband.
Ted, my brother in law took the pictures below. He even recorded some but you can hardly hear it so I am not including those. 

Blessed Mother


The Altar of our Church. I am always looking at Jesus on the cross during mass. It gives me comfort, hope and faith.




Father Blessings
Father Reading Scripture
From Left to Right; Babygirl, Me, Father A, Hubby and Deacon Wyble.  Deacon and  BabyGirl were our witnesses.

Reception at Picante's Mexican Restaurant. They were the best!


There you go! Sorry, it took a month but you know how I am by now :)

Thanks for dropping by and until next time...have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving. 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a long and difficult process, but I'm glad you have reached your goal with the church. Thanks for the pictures. Everyone looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was but it was worthwhile. A big weight was lifted off my shoulders and heart. My parents were relieved I think lol. Your welcome. THanks for commenting!!

      Delete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.