Tuesday, October 20, 2020

MY Experience with COVID19

Hello My Friends,

I hope is well with you. I hope you are staying safe. Not sure what is worse the COVID 19 or the chaos in our country. I pray none of you or people you know have experienced COVID19. I did and let me tell you, the last time I went into the hospital I thought I wasn't coming out.

From the week after I ended Physical Therapy(End of March) to April 5th I went to ER 4 times and was admitted twice.

The first time they admitted me was with a diagnosis of  "Community-acquired pneumonia." They did a COVID 19 test. They treated me with antibiotics and prednisone and IV fluids. I had my pulmonologist and a hospitalist as my physicians. Day 2 of my hospitalization they both told me adamantly at separate times that I would be safer to go home because they JUST KNEW I didn't have COVID and being on a COVID floor I was safer home. 

I checked my O2 level, pulse and temperature throughout the day when I was home. About a couple days later I was called by the doctor saying I was indeed COVID 19 positive. (So much for the doctors being confident that I DID NOT have it!). They told me to quarantine and all the CDC recommendations. CDC called me and asked if I lived with someone. They ended up telling my husband to go get checked. He only had a slight sore throat and felt a little rundown. He grudgingly went and sure enough, he was also positive.

I was getting worse. My O2 was up and down. I was gasping for breath. My temperature was 102.1. The doctor told me to go to the ER AGAIN!. Twice before I went to ER they sent me back. So Hubby once again brought me. On the way to the hospital, we both said I love you. Although, we didn't say it then, both of us thought I wasn't coming back home. 

Note: The worse of it all was they wouldn't allow my Hubby to help me in the ER. No one helped me. I almost fell on my face. I could hardly walk. There was the receptionist I saw for the 4th time and I wanted to slap her each time. Such a rude person. AND there were 2 'security guards' who didn't even try to help me.

They admitted me and treated me with the controversial Hydroxychloroquine, Zithromax and Remdesivir. I felt better the next day. They kept me for 5 days.

My diagnosis was: Pneumonia due to COVID 19, Viral gastroenteritis, acute respiratory failure, hypo osmolality-hyponatremia. They put me on oxygen by nasal cannula.

Thankfully, my husband had many friends and family to support him while I was in the hospital. Thanks to everyone! You know who you are. Thanks for the prayers and concern. The Nurses were awesome. I felt for them, having to put the PPE on every time they walked in. I think they had a good system although I know it was a pain in the you know what.

Before entering my room they would call my room and asked if I needed anything. Dietary would call 3 times daily to get my order for the meal. They had a menu according to my diet. 

Let me tell you their chicken and sausage gumbo was one of the best. All of their food was good but that gumbo.Mmmmm Mmmmm good.

As of May 13, 2020 I was tested negative for COVID-19. I continue to have shortness of breath with activity, which is improving day by day. I get tired easily. My taste and smell are off sometimes. I sometimes hard a time pronouncing a word, now I can't even remember the word.

I was supposed to have surgery on my disc in April. That was canceled. Then my knee started locking at night. Let me tell you.that is one excruciating pain as I slowly unlock it. So I am back in PT.

This was my COVID experience. I know some people think wearing a mask is politically motivated or taking away our freedom. Let me tell you. Maybe it is politically motivated in a way but if you never had COVID or had a loved one I hope you don't ever catch this. I am paranoid. It is hard for me to wear my mask but I do it to protect myself and others. It's a simple gesture to protect others and yourself.

Until I show up again..Please be safe. Wear Your mask. Pray.




////////.......................................

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry that you had to go through such a terrible experience. I hope that you continue to heal. But if there is any good to come out of it is that you can tell your story and hopefully encourage others to do what they need to do to keep themselves and others safe--or at least as safe as we can be these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am much better than months back. I hear so many people say it is not real, wearing masks is unconstitutional etc. I read other COVID survivors stories and thought let me put my experience on my blog. I appreciate you reading and commenting. God Bless

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy that you are doing better !! Hang in there. Yes it is very real and God Bless you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure who 'me' is but thank you!. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

For those who are Anonymous, I'll appreciate if you'll tell me who you are especialy if you know me personally or via FB. Because I get alot of spam comments. Thanks. Otherwise, say something to let me know you were here. Thanks. I appreciate all of my readers.